Proposed Title IX Regulations
In November 2018, the U.S. Department of Education proposed new regulations regarding the duties of colleges and universities to address sexual misconduct under the federal nondiscrimination law known as “Title IX.” Georgetown University administrators met with members of the community to evaluate the proposed regulations and submitted a formal comment to the department on January 31, 2019.
The University’s comments are a product of the collaboration and insight of many within our community. Upon release of the proposed regulations, Georgetown conducted eleven listening sessions with students, faculty, and staff across our undergraduate and graduate campuses. More than three hundred seventy members of our community participated in those listening sessions and provided feedback. Our community members’ views were thoughtful and compelling, and they were also diverse and represented many different experiences and opinions on this complex topic.
As of September 2019, the Department of Education has not yet issued final guidance regarding Title IX regulations.
- University Comment on Proposed Title IX Regulations (January 30, 2019)
- Update on Proposed Title IX Regulations (January 14, 2019)
- Invitation to First Main Campus Student Listening Session (November 30, 2018)
- Message to the Community from President John J. DeGioia (November 28, 2018)
- Proposed Changes to Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
- Proposed Title IX Regulation Fact Sheet
2018 and 2019 Community Listening Sessions
- Monday, December 3 at 7-8:30 p.m., Leavey Program Room
- Thursday, December 6 at 12-1:30 p.m., Healey Family Student Center, Social Room (Faculty, Staff and Students)
- Monday, December 10 at 6-7:30 p.m., Healey Family Student Center, Social Room (Students Only)
- Friday, December 14 at 12-1:30 p.m., Leavey Program Room (Faculty and Staff Only)
- Monday, December 3 at 10-11:30 a.m., Hotung 4004 (Students and Staff)
- Thursday, December 13 at 12-1:30 p.m., Hotung 1000 (Faculty Only)
- Thursday, December 13 at 1:45-2:30 p.m., McDonough 342 (Staff Only)
- Thursday, December 13 at 2:45-3:30 p.m., McDonough 342 (Students Only)
- Monday, December 17 at 12:30-1:30 p.m., McDonough 220 (Staff Only)
- Monday, December 17 at 12:30-1:30 p.m., McDonough 200 (Students Only)
- Wednesday, December 19 at 1-2:30 p.m., Med/Dent Building, Room SW 107
- Wednesday, January 9, at 12:50 p.m., Doha Campus
A summary of comments from the University Listening Sessions can be found here.
Information on University resources for those affected by sexual misconduct can be found here.