Report Sexual Misconduct

Employees who believe that they have been subject to sexual misconduct may choose (a) to report the incident to the University so that action can be taken by the University, including under the University's disciplinary procedures; (b) to report the incident to the police; and/or (c) to not report the incident.  Reports may be made regardless of when the incidents occurred.  

Employees who are unsure about whether they want to report may contact a confidential counselor.  Going to a confidential counselor does not foreclose the opportunity to make a report to the University or file a formal complaint at a later time. Confidential counselors can also help employees understand what reporting options are available and assist with the process if they choose to file a formal complaint.

When reports are made to the Title IX Coordinator or the Deputy Title IX Coordinator, the University has the obligation to review all reports and respond appropriately.  

Reporting Options

Any employee who wishes to report sexual misconduct may pursue several different options.

Title IX Coordinator 

Employees who wish to report sexual misconduct may notify the University's Title IX Coordinator or the Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Faculty and Staff, Michael Smith: 

Michael Smith, Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Faculty and Staff

Director of Affirmative Action Programs

M-36 Darnall Hall, 37th and O Streets, NW, Washington, D.C.  20057

Phone: (202) 687-4640


The Coordinator will work with employees who experience sexual misconduct to coordinate protective measures and other timely services, provide information about available resources, and explain the University policies on sexual misconduct and the University's complaint process.

Georgetown University Police Department (GUPD)

Click here for more information on how to file a report with the GUPD.  

All individuals who have experienced sexual misconduct may file an incident report with the Georgetown University Police Department (GUPD), which will investigate the incident and report its findings to the appropriate University office. 

Confidential counselors and the Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Faculty and Staff are both available to assist students who choose to file an incident report with the GUPD.