New Federal Title IX Regulations
On May 6, 2020, the Department of Education announced the new regulations (new window) regarding the duties of colleges and universities to address sexual misconduct under the federal nondiscrimination law known as Title IX, which will take effect on August 14, 2020. We are carefully reviewing the regulations to determine how they may affect our community and the University’s policies. The University recognizes that it is critical to include members of our community, particularly students and faculty, as we navigate this review and revision process and has formed a number of working groups to begin this work. In the meantime, Georgetown’s current policies and processes will remain in place.
The new regulations come more than a year after the Department of Education proposed changes to federal guidance regarding the duties of colleges and universities to address sexual misconduct under the federal nondiscrimination law known as Title IX. After their release in November 2018, Georgetown University administrators met with members of the community to evaluate the proposed regulations and submitted a formal comment to the department on January 31, 2019.
The University’s comments were a product of the collaboration and insight of many within our community. Upon release of the proposed regulations, Georgetown conducted 11 listening sessions with students, faculty, and staff across our undergraduate and graduate campuses. More than 370 members of our community participated in those listening sessions and provided feedback. Our community members’ views were thoughtful and compelling, and they were also diverse and represented many different experiences and opinions on this complex topic.
- An Update Regarding New Federal Regulations on Title IX and Sexual Misconduct (May 6, 2020)
- University Comment on Proposed Title IX Regulations (January 30, 2019)
- Update on Proposed Title IX Regulations (January 14, 2019)
- Invitation to First Main Campus Student Listening Session (November 30, 2018)
- Message to the Community from President John J. DeGioia (November 28, 2018)
- Proposed Changes to Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
- Proposed Title IX Regulation Fact Sheet
2018 and 2019 Community Listening Sessions
- Monday, December 3 at 7-8:30 p.m., Leavey Program Room
- Thursday, December 6 at 12-1:30 p.m., Healey Family Student Center, Social Room (Faculty, Staff and Students)
- Monday, December 10 at 6-7:30 p.m., Healey Family Student Center, Social Room (Students Only)
- Friday, December 14 at 12-1:30 p.m., Leavey Program Room (Faculty and Staff Only)
- Monday, December 3 at 10-11:30 a.m., Hotung 4004 (Students and Staff)
- Thursday, December 13 at 12-1:30 p.m., Hotung 1000 (Faculty Only)
- Thursday, December 13 at 1:45-2:30 p.m., McDonough 342 (Staff Only)
- Thursday, December 13 at 2:45-3:30 p.m., McDonough 342 (Students Only)
- Monday, December 17 at 12:30-1:30 p.m., McDonough 220 (Staff Only)
- Monday, December 17 at 12:30-1:30 p.m., McDonough 200 (Students Only)
- Wednesday, December 19 at 1-2:30 p.m., Med/Dent Building, Room SW 107
- Wednesday, January 9, at 12:50 p.m., Doha Campus
A summary of comments from the University Listening Sessions can be found here.
Information on University resources for those affected by sexual misconduct can be found here.