New Federal Title IX Regulations
On May 6, 2020, the Department of Education announced the new regulations (new window) regarding the duties of colleges and universities to address sexual misconduct under the federal nondiscrimination law known as Title IX, which take effect on August 14, 2020.
Over the summer, we carefully reviewed the regulations to determine how they affect our community and the University’s policies and procedures. The University recognized that it was critical to include members of our community, particularly students and faculty, as we navigated this review and revision process and formed a number of working groups to engage in this work.
The new regulations come more than a year after the Department of Education proposed changes to federal guidance regarding the duties of colleges and universities to address sexual misconduct under the federal nondiscrimination law known as Title IX. After their release in November 2018, Georgetown University administrators met with members of the community to evaluate the proposed regulations and submitted a formal comment to the department on January 31, 2019.
Please see below for the communications and information released by the University pertaining to the new Title IX regulations. You may contact any of the University’s Title IX Coordinators for more information or with any questions.
- Georgetown Supports New Title IX Regulations That Strengthen Protections for Students and Fight Sexual Misconduct (September 13, 2022)
- University Comment on Proposed Title IX Regulations (September 12, 2022)
- University Comment on the Department of Education’s Regulatory Review of the Title IX Regulations (June 9, 2021)
- University-developed graphics and visual aids explaining Georgetown’s new Policies and Procedures (August 14, 2020)
- Briefing on the Department of Education’s New Title IX Regulations: Impacts on Georgetown’s Policies and Procedures (August 14, 2020)
- Policy on Sexual Misconduct (August 14, 2020)
- An Update Regarding New Sexual Misconduct Federal Regulations Under Title IX (August 14, 2020)
- University Response to the Civil Rights Petition submitted by Students (July 31, 2020)
- A Georgetown Webinar on the Department of Education’s New Title IX Regulations (July 6, 2020, from 5:30-7pm)
- An Update Regarding New Federal Regulations on Title IX and Sexual Misconduct (May 6, 2020)
- University Comment on Proposed Title IX Regulations (January 30, 2019)
- Update on Proposed Title IX Regulations (January 14, 2019)
- Invitation to First Main Campus Student Listening Session (November 30, 2018)
- Message to the Community from President John J. DeGioia (November 28, 2018)
- Proposed Changes to Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
- Proposed Title IX Regulation Fact Sheet
2018 and 2019 Community Listening Sessions
- Monday, December 3 at 7-8:30 p.m., Leavey Program Room
- Thursday, December 6 at 12-1:30 p.m., Healey Family Student Center, Social Room (Faculty, Staff and Students)
- Monday, December 10 at 6-7:30 p.m., Healey Family Student Center, Social Room (Students Only)
- Friday, December 14 at 12-1:30 p.m., Leavey Program Room (Faculty and Staff Only)
- Monday, December 3 at 10-11:30 a.m., Hotung 4004 (Students and Staff)
- Thursday, December 13 at 12-1:30 p.m., Hotung 1000 (Faculty Only)
- Thursday, December 13 at 1:45-2:30 p.m., McDonough 342 (Staff Only)
- Thursday, December 13 at 2:45-3:30 p.m., McDonough 342 (Students Only)
- Monday, December 17 at 12:30-1:30 p.m., McDonough 220 (Staff Only)
- Monday, December 17 at 12:30-1:30 p.m., McDonough 200 (Students Only)
- Wednesday, December 19 at 1-2:30 p.m., Med/Dent Building, Room SW 107
- Wednesday, January 9, at 12:50 p.m., Doha Campus
A summary of comments from the University Listening Sessions can be found here.
Information on University resources for those affected by sexual misconduct can be found here.