File A Complaint With The University

Deputy Title IX Coordinator for the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences

Any graduate student who wishes to report sexual misconduct may notify the University’s Title IX Coordinator or the Deputy Title IX Coordinator for the Graduate School, Sheila McMullan.

Sheila McMullan, Deputy Title IX Coordinator for the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences

Associate Dean for Administration and Finance

3520 Prospect Street, N.W. Car Barn Suite 400, Washington, D.C. 20007

Phone: (202) 687-3514


The Coordinator can work with individuals who experience sexual misconduct to coordinate protective measures and other timely services, provide information about available resources, and explain the University’s policies and complaint process. Please note that Title IX Coordinators are not confidential resources.  For the list of confidential counselors on and near campus, click here.

Should I report an incident of sexual misconduct to a Deputy Title IX Coordinator?

Whether or not to report is your choice. The Deputy Title IX Coordinator can assist you in filing a formal complaint or, if you do not want to file a formal complaint, can work with you to provide other forms of assistance. The staff can also assist you in notifying the Georgetown University Police Department or local police, if you so request. 

Filing a complaint with your Deputy Title IX Coordinator can help the University address sexual misconduct.  When reported, steps will be taken to protect confidentiality as much as possible.

What if I don’t want anything done?  

If you do not want to make a report, but wish to talk to someone confidentially, please contact a confidential counselor.  Counselors can help you understand your options in a completely confidential environment and free of charge.  

Will the accused individual know my identity?

The University handles all reported incidents discreetly and wishes to protect the confidentiality of the survivor. However, the University is also required to balance the need to respond comprehensively to the incident, which may require sharing your identity and allowing the accused individual the opportunity to respond to the allegations.

Can I be retaliated against for initiating a formal complaint?

It is a violation of University policy to retaliate in any way against an individual or a group because the individual or group of individuals reported an allegation of sexual misconduct. The University will take immediate and responsive action to any report of retaliation and will pursue disciplinary action as appropriate.  An individual reporting sexual harassment or misconduct is entitled to protection from any form of retaliation following a report that is made in good faith.

The University may take such measures to protect the safety of the University community and to enable the complainant and witnesses to continue studies and work, and to ensure the integrity of an investigation, even when a complainant does not specifically request that protective action.  For the range of interim measures, click here.

How do I report sexual misconduct that occurs off-campus?  

You should report off-campus conduct to the Title IX Coordinator just the same as on-campus conduct.  Confidential counselors and other on-campus resources are also available for incidents that occur off-campus.